- This event has passed.
Southampton Sleep Training Programme – Module 5
November 21 @ 9:00 am - November 22 @ 2:00 pm
With over a decade of experience in teaching professionals about sleep and its disorders in children we have responded to demand by introducing a new modular online learning programme. This offers a number of advantages:
- flexibility to choose what level of training is appropriate to your needs and practice
- flexibility to choose specialist modules relevant to your practice
- shorter courses that fit in more easily alongside demands of work
- more cost effective (no travel, accommodation costs)
- suited to a range of professionals enriching interdisciplinary learning
- based on current clinical and research evidence
We deliver material in a way that is engaging, friendly and interactive. All of our trainers are NHS professional who daily ‘walk the talk’ and are enthusiastic to share their extensive knowledge and experience. Course material includes a rich set of filmed case study material throughout.
Modules 1 and 2 along with the Specialist Modules 3, 4 and 5 are presented once a year. All modules are delivered online.
Module 1 is priced at £150
Modules 2,3,4 and 5 are priced at £185 per module.
Module 1 – Basic Sleep Know-How
This course provides a basic scientific understanding of sleep and will allow you to advise on evidenced based good sleep habits. It can be taken as a stand-alone course and requires no pre-requisites but is also a foundation for later specialist modules.
- Children’s sleep problems in a family context
- Science of Sleep – understanding the mysteries of sleep
- Why children sleep – the role of sleep in childhood
- Culture and Sleep – sleep around the world
- Fundamentals of Sleep Hygiene – providing advice based on science not ‘hearsay’
Dates & Cost:
- 2nd and 3rd March 2023
- 9 am – 1pm each day (8 hours total)
- Cost: £150.00
Module 2 – Disorders of Sleep
This course develops your understanding of sleep disorders in childhood (based on the international classification of sleep disorders III) and how these can be treated. This course is relevant to all professionals who wish to develop sleep services; general paediatricians with a special interest in sleep and specialist paediatricians (consultants and trainees e.g. respiratory/neurology/neurodisability) wishing to further their knowledge.
- have attended core module 1 (or evidence attendance at a similar course)
- work for a statutory or voluntary organisation that is responsible for your clinical practice.
- Core Sleep Disorders and their treatments (e.g. disorders of hypersomnolence, movement disorders, circadian rhythm disorders; chronic insomnia; sleep related breathing disorders)
- Measuring Sleep
- Use of medication in sleep
Dates & Cost:
- 15th and 16 May 2023
- 9 am – 2pm (10 hours in total)
- Cost: £185.00
Module 3 – Managing Sleep Problems in Neurodevelopmental Disorders
This module looks at the latest research and is suitable for paediatricians/clinicians/therapists and anyone with a special interest in neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Sleep and ASD
- Sleep and children with ADHD
- Sleep in Children with Down syndrome
- Syndrome specific sleep problems in children with rare neurodevelopmental disorders
- Sleep and Epilepsy
- Sleep and pain in non-verbal children
Date for Specialist Module 3
Monday 11th and Tuesday 12th September 2023 – 9am – 2pm (10 hours total)
Cost Specialist Module 3
Module 4 – Managing Sleep Problems in Children with Physical Disability and Sensory Impairment
This module is suitable for paediatricians/clinicians/therapists and anyone with a particular interest in children with physical disability. Day 2 of this course is case study based – using both hospital and community patients
- Prevalence predictors and impact of sleep problems in children with physical disabilities
- How do co-morbidities and their care impact on sleep
- Thermoregulation and sleep
- Respiratory Challenges and their treatments
- Daytime participation and Sleep
Date for specialist module 4
Monday 30th and Tuesday 31st October 2023 – 9 – 2pm (10 hours in total)
Cost for Specialist Module 4
Module 5 – Managing Chronic Insomnia
This module is suitable for sleep practitioners, community nursery nurses, school nurses, family support workers and anyone who is planning to work with families to improve sleep and who work for a statutory or voluntary organisation. Day 2 of this module uses case studies to support you in writing sleep management plans.
- Basics of sleep disorders
- Anxiety and sleep
- Sleep Behaviours -a psychological perspective
- Development Hot Spots
- Models of working
- Effective Assessment
- Developing a Sleep Programme
Dates for Specialist Module 5
Tuesday 21st and Wednesday 22nd November 2023 – 9 – 2pm (10 hours in total)
Cost for Specialist Module 5